I’m pretty sure that I’m not the only one who feels overwhelmed and stressed sometimes. We just have too many things on our plate and unfortunately not enough time to complete them all. So until 30-hour days are invented, follow these five tips to maximize your productivity in the 24 hours that we have.
1. Get enough sleep. Whether you’d like to believe it or not, getting a solid eight hours of sleep in every night will actually increase your productivity. Not only will you wake up feeling completely rested and ready to tackle the day, you won’t need to take any extra little breaks throughout the work day. Also, your brain will be fully rested, meaning that it will be in tip top shape and able to come up with more creative ideas in a shorter amount of time. So DVR that late night television show and grab some zzzz’s an hour earlier than you’re used to. Your body with graciously thank you.
2. Create a daily to-do list. I live by to-do lists. Without them, I would be 100 percent lost and confused with my day. Like me, I’m sure you have plenty of things going on, for several different reasons. So when making your list, divide it into categories, such as work, home, school, travel, etc. This will make it much easier to see which tasks are the most important, but will still allow you to see everything you need to get accomplished throughout the day.
3. Say no. Now although you always want to have the best experiences under our belt, you need to learn how to say no, so that you don’t stretch yourself too thin. Your boss will like you a whole lot better if you are performing great on two accounts, rather than performing mediocre on three or four accounts. Also, don’t take on too much outside of work or school. You need to have time to yourself in order to reflect on your day and create your to-do list for tomorrow.
4. Wake up earlier. Now I know that I just said to make sure you get enough sleep, but waking up earlier allows you to maximize the time in your day to get things done. So go the sleep at 10:30 p.m. and wake up at 7 a.m. – that’s eight and a half hours of sleep right there. I cannot stress enough though that your sleep schedule is the key to productivity. Try to keep it as routine as possible.
5. Be healthy. Live a healthy lifestyle. Eat the right amount of fruits and veggies each day, and make sure to only treat yourself to that cheesecake you love every once and a while. Being healthy is the whole deal – sleeping, eating and exercising. So make sure to do a the right amount of each one in order to keep your body as healthy as can be. Because when you’re healthy, so is your brain. And a healthy brain is a smart brain.