Doors. We open and close them everyday. And I’m not talking about your front door, your car door, or any other physical door you encounter during the day. I’m talking about those intangible doors you are presented with everyday. The ones you can’t physically see or touch, but have the ability to seriously impact your life.
Whether you know it or not, you are completely in charge of these intangible doors. They are always open until you shut them. And most of the time, we don’t even know they’re open.
Throughout the years and my experiences, I’ve learned how to discover and walk through these intangible doors rather easily. Here are the pointers I’ve picked up:
5. Be on the lookout – Look, look, look! We have the world at our fingertips with the Internet, so use it! Search for those doors that aren’t presenting themselves to you.
4. Network – In my industry, who you know is everything. Your connections will most likely are the ones presenting those doors, so get out their and network! One can never have too many connections.
3. Ask questions – Let me ask you this… How do you expect to ever get a job without asking a question? Professionals are always willing to help new pros in the industry, as long as you have interesting questions to ask.
2. Knock away! – Once you’ve found these doors, don’t be afraid to knock on it! Don’t tell yourself that you’re not qualified for the opportunity or that you won’t have any chance of being chosen. You lose 100% of the opportunities you do not take.
1. Share these doors with others – If you’re like me, you’ve most likely knocked on several doors already and received some pretty amazing opportunities. I am now in a position to help others discover these intangible doors and give them advice on what do do after they start knocking. So share these doors with others. In doing so, another one may open for you.